Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Skipping To Chapter 9

(Relationships Pt. 1)

I have been given a request to write about a delicate subject… relationships.
While I don’t feel I am the authority on relationships, I can write on my understanding and experience. So for those of you who asked, and those who didn’t, here it is.
_____________________________________________________________
I have pondered the relationships that God has created to mirror different aspects of his relationship with US, His creation!  There is fatherhood (Matt. 6:32), brotherhood (Proverbs 18:24), & friend (John 15:13).  But, then there is the relationship of lover to beloved!  This aspect is so personal and intimate that it is often overlooked.  (In a later post I will release a dream God gave me about intimacy.)
As I was praying over what to write, because this subject is so large that I did not want to just babble like I am now, God pointed me to this.
He showed me that there are people reading the story of their lives, and in a moment of perceived loneliness (notice I said “perceived”), they are skipping ahead to the romance chapter!  Now, anyone who knows anything about literature knows that you can’t just skip a few chapters in a story.  The chapter you skip to will not make sense if you do.  What do you do with the information in Chapter 9 if you have not read chapters 1-8?
Yet, there are so many Christians trying to skip to the beauty of Chapter 9 without having the knowledge of the previous chapters!  Solomon, in all his God-given wisdom, wrote this: 
“I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
By the gazelles or by the does [female deer] of the field,
Do not stir up nor awaken love
Until it pleases.”
(Song Of Solomon 2:7 NKJV)
It was so important that He wrote it 3 times in the same book! (Song Of Solomon 3:5 & 8:4)
From personal experience, I can tell you that love that is “awakened” too soon is volatile!  It always blows up in your face and causes more damage than good!  God intended this relationship to be good and healthy!
I know, in the waves of crashing emotions, it is difficult to see straight, but that is when you must keep your eyes on the prize… Matthew 6:33!  Seek His kingdom FIRST… Then the rest will fall into line
God is a God of mercy and grace.  Even King David was restored and forgiven for messing with the love chapter.  If you have made mistakes as I have, I have GREAT news for you!  God forgives and restores!  His promises are constant and His love endures forever!  He doesn’t love you any less.  In fact, He loves you more than you could ever know!  He just wants to be with you and bring you to a place of peace and rest, not guilt and shame!
For those of you who are pondering “Mr./Ms. Right”, don’t fret.  As long as you are seeking His will and focusing on Him, the person you want (who is going the same way as you – To HIM) will be there for you!  You can’t force it, skip to it, or seek it out before its due season. 
The best way I can say it is “the right thing at the wrong time is still the wrong thing!” 
I’m sure all of you who read this will agree.  We want the beautiful relationship with love, trust, affection, intimacy and romance!  That is not something we can create just by “hooking up” with someone. 
I will leave you with this thought.  A wise man who counseled me and my husband early in marriage sat down and held our hands.  In his right hand he held Joe’s hand and in his left hand he held mine.  He said this to Joe…”God has her heart.  You can’t have all of it because it belongs to Him!”  Then he looked at me and said “God has his heart and you can’t have it all because it belongs to Him.”  Then he said, “The only way that you can truly have each other’s hearts is if God holds your heart because THEN and only then will your hearts truly be in the same place!”
                                  
I pray that God blesses you as you continue to serve Him and seek His face!

No comments:

Post a Comment