Friday, October 14, 2011

Choosing to Trust





Ps. 31:14-15 (NKJV) 14 But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, “You are my God.” 15 My times are in Your hand; Deliver me from the hand of my enemies, And from those who persecute me.



Trusting God sounds so simple to most people.  If you ask anyone who calls themselves a “Christian”, they will probably agree that they trust God.  However, truly trusting God only comes through testing that trust.  It's a difficult choice to trust God. Sometimes we want to change our minds, especially when things don't look the way we want them to. 
My family and I were facing some difficult financial decisions this month.  We have been faced with extra financial obligations lately so we had to make decisions on how to prioritize our finances, making sure everything that had to be done, was completed.  For example, rent had to be paid, had to have gas in the car, and then we go down the line on other necessities.  This month we cut a lot of our entertainment funding, which wasn’t much to begin with, as well as cutting out all restaurant activity (NO eating out.  Not even at lunch.)  This may seem trivial, but it causes us to take extra time to plan our meals and bag our lunches.  It also makes us reconsider our entertainment choices like movies, games and other fun things.  Does this mean we don’t trust God?  No.  Not at all.  This means we are going to be responsible with the resources he has entrusted us with.  See, we are trusting God to continue to provide for all of our needs.  (Philippians 4:19, NKJV “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”) 
A while ago, I found myself becoming angry about our circumstances.  See, things weren’t happening the way I wanted them to.  I thought that by now we would have moved, I would be in a full-time job and ministry position and that the vision for my family would be a bit more tangible, and real, than it is.  When those things didn’t happen when I planned, I had a difficult choice to make.  Will I trust God or won’t I.  I started to try and take things into my own hands.  I was going to “fix” it and make things happen.  However, anyone who has experienced this can and will tell you the same thing as me.  The right thing in the wrong time is always the wrong thing.  It’s all about God’s timing.  So, by the grace of God, we didn’t get in too far off track but enough to set us back.  We repented for not seeking God’s direction in the matter and becoming impatient and now we are facing the consequences (knowing that, even through consequences, He will never leave us).  We are choosing to trust God through the tight squeeze to getting back on track (detours always cost you time and fuel).  Even though it is frustrating sometimes, we choose to praise Him for His love and mercy which kept us from losing it all!
The lessons we learned are :
1)      We want God to swoop in and save the day. God wants to build character and a relationship with is. Choosing to trust Him causes us to surrender control and allow God to do what He does... Show Himself Strong & Win Big!
2)      I'm confident in who God is! In MY DEFICIENCIES, He makes up the difference with GRACIOUS SUFFICIENCIES!!! When I am weak, He's strong! (2 Cor. 12:10, NKJV “Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
3)      If he never does another thing for me, He's already done enough. If He never blesses me again, He's already blessed me so much. For what He's done, I will praise Him and for WHO HE IS, I worship Him. Because He loved me first, I will love Him forever!!!
4)      God’s plan is higher, greater, smarter, and altogether better than ours!
5)      Stop trying make God’s plan look like the one in your head!  The one in your head will get you NO WHERE.  (Proverbs 14:12, NKJV “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.”
6)      Disappointment comes when you are looking for God to move the way you think He should.  Then the enemy will try to tell you that God failed you.  NO, God did not fail you.  His plans are higher! (Isaiah 55:9, NKJV “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”)
I challenge you, this weekend and next week.  Look at the toughest areas of your life.  Do you trust God with them or are you trying to find your own way?  Is your way working?
I remember hearing a Chinese proverb that says “The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results each time.”
Remember, seek His face first.  Then all the rest will fall in line!
Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment