Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Fight to Stay Free

Exodus 14:13-1413 And Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever. 14 The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.”
Zechariah 4:6b “‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the Lord of hosts.”
_____________________________________________________
My last post was a personal milestone, releasing the past and burying it forever.  Not to be forgotten, but also not to be focused on or kept alive!
As I sat tonight, caring for three sick children, God brought a truth to mind.  The chaos of the night began trying to get all three kids to bed.  Nathan, my 4 year old, was sitting with Joe (daddy) while finishing a breathing treatment.  I was upstairs with Maya, his twin, getting her in bed.  She was complaining of a scratchy throat so after a drink and some medicine for allergies, I prayed with her and tucked her in.  Then I prayed with Donavon, our 9 year old.  About an hour later, Maya wakes up crying softly with a barking cough.  She could barely breathe.
Two hours later, including a call to the doctor, two breathing treatments, some ibuprophen and robitussin, she is resting and I am quietly praying.  While praying I think about what the children of Israel went through to get out of Egypt.  They first had to be motivated to move (ultra condensed version), then they had to be released.  Once they made the choice to get up and go, the enemy tried to get them back into the place of complacency and immobility. 
I asked God, briefly, “Why the tough road?  Why not just deliver them immediately?  You could have done it.  You could have wiped out the Egyptians in seconds!”  The reply; “Ah, but then they would not have appreciated what I had done for them!  And some of them still did not understand the value of the deliverance I provided.”  “Okay, God.” I said.  “I just left this pain, heart ache and misery.  Why can’t I just be free of it?  Why can’t I go straight into the next level or the promise land?” 
This is what God showed me tonight. 
Once I chose to move as God instructed and then actually do what I determined to do, the enemy will come out and try to get you back.  At that point, you have to continue to obey God.  If you don’t, you must start all over in order to be set free.  But, if you remain obedient, even through the test, God then responds!  In response to your obedience, he says “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today.” (Exodus 14:13)  In essence, what has happened is, through your willingness to do what He has told you to do, you have shown God that you trust Him.  He, in turn, honors the agreement or covenant that He made with his children.  Leviticus talks about God’s promise to the Israelites if they obey all of His commands and laws.
I am standing on God’s promises that, not only will He bless me, provide for me, and protect me; He will also continue the blessing and covenant to my children!
Things are rough at times.  Kids are sick (not just the flu, but in the hospital, having surgery and fighting for their lives), finances are strained, and it is easy to feel alone when problems keep rising.  But don’t give up & don’t give in!  God will always keep His promise!  Make the tough choice and stick to it because in the end is peace, protection, and the relationship of a life time!
Be blessed!
_____________________________________________________
Leviticus 26:3-13
3   ‘If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments, and perform them,
4    then I will give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.
5    Your threshing shall last till the time of vintage, and the vintage shall last till the time of sowing; you shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely.
6    I will give peace in the land, and you shall lie down, and none will make you afraid; I will rid the land of evil beasts, and the sword will not go through your land.
7    You will chase your enemies, and they shall fall by the sword before you.
8    Five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight; your enemies shall fall by the sword before you.
9    ‘For I will look on you favorably and make you fruitful, multiply you and confirm My covenant with you.
10    You shall eat the old harvest, and clear out the old because of the new.
11    I will set My tabernacle among you, and My soul shall not abhor you.
12    I will walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people.
13    I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves; I have broken the bands of your yoke and made you walk upright.

No comments:

Post a Comment