Sunday, October 2, 2011

Free-writing / Free-reading

So, here I sit, once again, in front of a blank page.  No limits to my thoughts, dreams, ambitions, or potential.  There’s simply a blank page.  What more could a writer ask for, because… that’s what I am… a writer.  I have no expectations of what is supposed to be written and have not been given any specific assignments on what to write.  I am simply free writing.  Free-writing is an exercise used by many writers to keep creativity fresh.  It also allows us to utilize our gifts and skills without the restraints of obligations, expectations, or delegations of others.

My desire is not to ‘reinvent the wheel’, so to speak.  I do not want to rearrange someone else’s ideas and present them as a unique view of my own.  Above all, I definitely do not want to discuss the same, tired, old subjects that are in the stuck circles of blog after blog and article after article.  No, my ambition is to discover something entirely new and unique.  I want to paint a mental canvas with brilliant colors and beautiful transitions that cause the partakers to stop and sigh in a breathtaking moment of wonderment.


As I sit here, writing the thoughts that come to mind, it dawns on me what God is speaking to me through this exercise.  Shake off the old mentality, the old subjects, the passé topics, and the ‘beaten horse’ themes that have been utilized to the point that absolutely no one wants to read about again.  Relationships are important, but there are plenty of authors who have written about dating, marriage, communication, sex, men from Mercury and women from Pluto or whatever.  There are countless authors who have written about leadership, improving your life today, and achieving your ‘best days now!’  I am no longer writing what everyone else is writing about.
From this day forward, I commit to throwing out the old and allowing God to reveal truth and newness.  No more preconceived ideas and definitely no more truth handed to me by another human. 
My challenge this week is for all my readers to do the same.  Do not simply take what someone else has handed you as gospel truth.  Test it. 
John 4:1 (The Message) says,
“My dear friends, don’t believe everything you hear. Carefully weigh and examine what people tell you. Not everyone who talks about God comes from God. There are a lot of lying preachers loose in the world.”
This is where your faith walk comes in.  Prayer is the key to testing anything.  If you are not directly connected to the truth, it becomes easy to mistake counterfeit.  When I worked for National City Bank in 2000/2001, they taught us simple ways to test currency and be sure that it was legitimate.  There are several ways like checking for the ‘tells’ (the strip in the middle of the paper, specific markings and watermarks, as well as the touch and thickness of the paper).  I had to be familiar with what the ‘real thing’ was so that when the fakes came up, I could tell the difference.  We had to keep doing this frequently because it is easy to forget the feel, and look, of a real bill if we didn’t see them all the time.  (I don’t normally carry 100 dollar bills on me.)  People of God, we must stay familiar with God our father and His personality, traits, feel, smell, and words so that when the enemy presents counterfeit, we are able to detect it with all assurance. 
I encourage you to read all of 1st John 4 (it’s not very long), and to guard your hearts against anyone handing you ‘truth’.  Seek God because He has your best interests at heart, to give you a future and a hope! (Jer. 29:11)
God loves you!  Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment